Siege and Storm by Leigh Bardugo

Leigh Bardugo
Siege and Storm
Indigo
386 pages
6.4

Blurb
The Darkling cupped my cheek with his hand, and when he spoke, his voice was almost tender. 'This is just the beginning,' he whispered.

Alina thought she could run from her past and escape her destiny. She can't.

Mal hoped he'd done enough to protect the girl he loved. He hadn't.

The Darkling, more powerful than before, is hungry for revenge. He needs Alina.

Soon Alina must choose between her country, her power, and the man she loves -- or risk losing everything to the oncoming storm.

Review
While I highly acclaim the first book of The Grisha, Shadow and Bone, I cannot utter the same acclaim for the second book. Shadow and Bone is charming and compelling, the worldbuilding feels really magical and beautiful and picturesque, but Siege and Storm somehow lost its charm and suaveness. 

Indeed, Bardugo's writing style is so rich in vocabulary and engaging. I just realized that The Grisha series has beautiful sentences and obscure words after reading in English. And I really like it as those abstruse words suit the action, making the book feels diverse.

However, Alina Starkov turns into an unbearable when she's in love, which is really annoying. Bardugo introduces us to a new character as well who is charming and witty. I like him. 

The story is really boring even though the end of the book is thrilling, with all those twists here and there. 

I still like it though, but now I begin to question myself if granting Shadow and Bone five stars is actually more than enough.


Previous
Next Post »